{April 20, 2012}   Accidentally Nostalgic (for 100 Word Song)

I’m trying out a new writing challenge hosted by a friend who maintains a residence at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog. His project is a little (read: a lot) different than the others I’ve participated in so far. Basically, a song is selected each week and entrants must offer 100 words (exactly) that are tied to the inspiration of the song. Entries can be submitted in any form – poetry, limericks, signs, cartoons, essays, fictions, real life scenarios, embarrassing stories or whatever inspires you.

This week’s song is Of Lillies and Remains by Bauhaus. If you assumed that I had never heard it before, you assumed correctly.  This unfamiliarity added to the level of difficulty for me. But I guess I shouldn’t expect them to be picking show tunes for this stuff.

So, for this first stab at it, I’m going with non-fiction. Lance, you’re more than welcome to lock the doors on me next week. My entry is nothing like the poetry and other mysterious allegory to which I think you are accustomed. “Enjoy.”

Accidentally Nostalgic

This challenge intrigues me but, after reading ALL of the other entries, I’m concerned. Concerned that maybe I don’t have the imagination exhibited by the others here. When I listen to this song, it takes me back to my very young adulthood. When I was dating the man I would one day marry. We saw a movie entitled So I Married an Axe Murderer. I still own the CD. Lots of great music in this film. And, for whatever reason, your song reminded me of the one below. Thanks for bringing back this nice little memory. (Hey, I did it.)

I like your take on the prompt because 1) I’m a sucker for sweet memories. 2) I like Mike Myers a lot (not as much as Dean Cain, but he’s up there) 3) It’s completely different than all the others.

Our first movie we saw together was ‘Good Will Hunting’. “How do you like them apples?” :)

I thought of the same thing when listening to the song.
Why no entry from you? Mel’s was pretty good!

You’re welcome to use mine if you like. Unless the size of this comment gets me barred. Then you can’t use it. So there.
(Also, it’s quite possible this was inspired by both Bauhaus and Axe Murderer… Sorry bout that)

TRAFFIC
All these cars pressed together. One moves everyone else tries the same move.
TRAFFIC
I dart ahead I screech to a stop I roll down my window to yell at the kid blocking me from the green light
TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC
I clutch and shift and gas and break, engine whining as I ac and ed celebrate.
An opening in front and I slip right in. It’s my chance to go, my turn to win.
I’m riding high as I zip on by “Suck it!” I yell to the poor slow jerk.
Wait –why am I hurrying….to get to….work

Oh, and sorry for the auto-correct – should be ac and de celerate. Not “ed celebrate”.
Sigh…

Don’t you get it, Guap? This IS my entry. Count the words in the box. One hundred. Exactly.

And I like yours, by the way. I can actually hear Mike Myers reading the end of it the same way he reads the end of his own rant.

Ah – oops. Sorry, I’m running around in a state of high-blood-sugar-and-exhaustion, and not paying near enough to anything today..

I think I need to try this challenge…and scarily, I am familiar with Bauhaus

Bela Legosi’s Dead…

That, of course, is terrible news for Mrs. Lugosi and all the little Lugosis … but your point would be … ?

(And remember, I was completely unfamiliar with this title until yesterday.)

Maybe this helps….

Do you remember this song below?

This is basically Bauhaus Version 2.0 (sort of…)

Lance says:

a) wow
b) i’m glad i met stnkyferit
c) i love, not like, not the creative avenue you took with this. I said you ahd to be inspired by the song and you took a memory, a momvie, a poem, and a chance. You nailed it. I mean all I i did was fit a few words into my widower story, you did A LOT more.

LOLOL – Someone who knows Bauhaus AND a Jet Fan! LOL

Okay, I don’t know the first link (about which I am just fine, by the way) but I, of course, know the second. Music geeks, both of ya!

(Man, I used to be, too. Sigh.)

Lance says:

take out the not before the creative in that first sentence

also, that movie is great “head, kitchen now!”

You’re a riot! I got a huge kick out of this.

Marian says:

who are you people! i like you. DUDE LET’S BLOW OFF THE 100 WORD SONG AND GO WATCH THE HUNGER.

Cameron says:

Ha! It took me a minute, but well done. And I love that movie! “Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis…”

TheKirCorner says:

First time I saw it done like this and I LIKE IT! It was honest and flowed so well, it was over before I wanted it to be. :)

[...] makes her blog educational. At least that’s her story. Here’s her piece from last week http://olddognewtits.com/2012/04/20/accidentally-nostalgic-for-100-word-song/  . Michele and I talk on the twitter about music so I figured she could deliver something [...]