{May 27, 2012}   Three in All (for Trifextra)

It’s Trifextra Weekend Challenge time. And I’ve admittedly fallen off the radar a bit, for a variety of reasons. So, when this idea came to me late tonight (or is it now early tomorrow?), I wanted to put pen to paper before I forgot it. The rules are simple. Entrants are challenged to write a poem in either 33 words, 3 lines or 3 stanzas.

Three in All

He was my first, and so like me say all who knew me when

The complications, sleepless nights – I’d gladly do again

His cautious nature and word play, they made him who he is

He’ll always hold my heart as I hope always to hold his

And then she entered like a shot, been blazing ever since

Filling life with light and color, ever so intense

She balanced things just perfectly, making them complete

This sense of satisfaction all from one so small and sweet

Then after all the obstacles, acceptance of the end

Came one more tiny miracle – my plans I would amend

But fate would not allow it, just four Christmas Eves ago

I love the one, I love the two, but three I’ll never know

I love how you capture your children in your writing. Your adoration for them overflows in your words.

We had a Christmas Day loss 5 years ago. I’m so sorry you know that pain.

Well done, Michele.

And the same to you, Mel. Of course, these losses are difficult all 365 possibilities.

So true. So very true.

Libby says:

Wonderfully written. I was sorry to read the third stanza…hard to know what to say, except I am so sorry…

That hurt my heart in a beautiful way. That last line, oooohhh that last line.
Came from Trifextra.

Thanks, Kim. I probably labored over EVERY SINGLE LINE of those three stanzas except the last one. It seemed to sum it all up.

it was so sweet and hopeful till the very end, i’m sorry such a last line could be written

Me, too, Renada. Thanks.

Do you have an entry this weekend?

That was sad…Valentines Day will never be the same for us….though ironically, one was a loss, and then 4 years later – to the date, J came home…

Nice. I like the way that turned out for you.

Imelda says:

This is beautiful. I am sorry for your loss.

This was magnificent.

I needed this today. Thank you.

kgwaite says:

Beautifully said – I understand what you’re going through.

Then I’m sorry for you, too.

Shawna says:

Oh wow, this is beautiful, sad, and honest.

gene3067 says:

Very powerful.

Gigi says:

We’ll know – one day.

the tragedy in that third stanza. I’m so sorry for your loss.

trifectawriting says:

Thank you so much for linking up to Trifextra this weekend. The challenge this weekend will be judged by the community. So please come back to the Trifecta home page and click the stars next to the three posts you most enjoyed. You only have until Monday at 8 am EST, so hurry!

(I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing these words with us. xx)

[...] Special family ornaments on the tree for each of my kids. The inspiration for the one on the right. [...]