{June 23, 2012}   Not Exactly Your Classic Boy Meets Girl Story (for Trifextra)

Trifextra gave us a fun assignment this weekend. Retell your favorite book in 33 words. And really the hardest part for me was picking a favorite book. Considering what an illiterate boob I am, I sure had a lot of ideas swimming around in my flabby brain. Until I settled on this one (written by a little-known actor at the time) that was later developed into a movie. It’s definitely a favorite around this house, which probably makes us a family of freaks. Although I’m not sure we can really blame that on the story.

20120623-005558.jpg

* Spoiler Alert – I tell the whole story here. Don’t read it if you don’t want to know.

Sling Blade

Man is released from asylum. Man meets boy. Man eats french fried potaters. Boy introduces man to mother and her gay friend. Man meets mother’s jackass boyfriend. Man bisects jackass with sling blade.

unevenstevencu says:

Yep, and you forgot everyone who sees the movie has to try and talk like him at least once.

My husband actually nailed it years ago. He even manages to contort his face, specifically his chin, into Karl form. So, you know, if there’s ever a BBT/Sling Blade impersonation contest …

Human nature…boo. I love your writing style…you love to break the rules…:). Nice creative touch with your blog. Neat.

Thanks for the nice words. :)

It’s the “potaters” that makes this perfect retelling!!

Thanks. I knew I had to get it in there. Even at the expense of its lengthy three words.

The movie was great–the book is always better; I’ll have to check it out.

It’s definitely a little different. And it was initially developed as a short film featuring Thornton and, of all people, Molly Ringwald as the reporter.

That would be great too–love her!

Ummm hmmmm! Really can’t type the gravelly voice in here but you get the meaning. Didn’t really know this was a book but the movie was awesome (please don’t tell anyone I think so). Oh, BTW, well written.

No shame in admitting to love Sling Blade. It was excellent. And thanks. :)

ive never heard of the book or movie, but it definently makes me think of a creeper who did the boy’s mom a favor by ‘bisecting’ her j****** bf
and ‘potaters’? haha

At the very least, rent the movie, Renada. You won’t be disappointed. Though I’m sorry if I ruined the plot for you. I promise it’s still very much worth your time. And the film is teeming with very talented actors.

barbara says:

sniffffff – thanks for the morning tears. (no, really, thanks) It’s been forever since I’ve watched the movie – BBT was great in it. and, shhhhh, I’ve not read the book, but may have to go find it.

Such a great story. Thanks.

Amelia says:

Perfect! I love it!

Cameron says:

And you thought you couldn’t choose! Fantastic book, fantastic retelling.

Thanks, Cameron. This one was fun, wasn’t it?

I haven’t seen the movie or read the book, but seeing “potaters” still made me smile :)

Then my work here is done. :)

Your recap intrigues me. I haven’t seen the movie or read the book, but because of your summary, I’ll have to check it out next week. :)

trifectawriting says:

Mmmmmmhmmmmmm. This is great, ODNT. Anytime you can use the word “bisect” as pertaining to cutting a human in half, in just 33 words, you’ve succeeded. Thanks for linking up. I hope you’ll come back on Monday for the 33rd Challenge Spectacular. (Every time I type that, I call it something different. . .)

Anyone who can use “bisect,” “jackass,” and “potaters” in the same 33 words must be a genius! Love the description!

dberonilla says:

This was definitely one of the most entertaining 33 word story re-tellings I’ve read! I love it!
Great job. Potaters rocked it. :-)