{December 29, 2012}   Flu … for @TrifectaWriting

The Trifecta writing assignment this weekend asks for “33 of your own words that exorcise a demon. One of your own, or one from your imagination.” My response is either perfect for this prompt or I’ve descended into hallucinatory, oatmeal-for-brains madness.

I can never be sure.

Flu

Her body stiffens. She is simultaneously hot and cold. The blanket antagonizes her skin. Breathing is labored. Involuntary attempts at expelling the impurity only heighten the pain.

And so she reaches for it.

* * * * * * * * * * *

20121229-203303.jpg

“The blanket antagonizes her skin.” That’s a perfect way to describe it. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

The hot/cold thing drives me nuts! At least TheraFlu helps (if it stays down.) I hope you get better soon :)

TheraFlu is the bomb. The only trouble is … it always renders me unconscious within 30 minutes of ingestion.

barbara says:

shiver – well done. I feel your/her pain

Thanks, Barbara. Fever’s down at the moment so I thought I’d get in some replies.

Lumdog says:

Unfortunately, this a perfect description! Sorry. Does that stuff work?

It really does … in the same way that NyQuil does. A unconscious person is not a miserable person. Know what I mean? They do have a daytime version, too. And I’m literally about to try it. Crossing fingers it doesn’t taste like the swill I drank for a glucose tolerance test when I was pregnant.

(Now there’s a non-sequitor.)

Draug419 says:

This makes me glad I don’t get sick very often (:

Me either. So this must be a strong strain of crud circulating out there. You have been warned! :)

Gina says:

I hate being sick especially with the flu! Nothing but waiting it out seems to help.

And the waiting is the hardest part. (Sorry for the gratuitous Tom Petty-ism.)

Tara R. says:

My husband is currently in the throes of the flu, makes the Man Cold pale by comparison

He may actually really be in pain this time. Get him some TheraFlu. :)

The flu is really the worst. :( Last time my little girl got the flu she was hospitalized. I wish these stupid illnesses would stop mutating so we could get rid of them!

I have two little people myself so I’m so sorry to hear that. It seems every time we overcome one strain we are met by another.

betarules says:

Something that needs exercising. Well written.

Happy new year and good health.

Ugh, I can feel your pain from here. Hope you feel better soon. I know you’ll be getting some sleep, thanks to the Theraflu.

Scriptor Obscura says:

Oh god, VITAMIN C! STAT! Seriously, Vitamin C. Get thee to a Vitamin C pill soon. Take one 1000 milligram pill every half an hour, till you get farts. That lets you know that your body has reached its tolerance of Vitamin C and you should not take any more. That will do the trick. You may think its funny, but it really works. Seriously, it works! I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t true! You gotta take Vitamin C every day, it will help ward off any nasty flu! Take C and FEEL BETTER! Hope you will get better soon! Happy New Year! :)

Scriptor Obscura says:

Also, drink lots of liquids. Preferably water. I always heard you should drink lots of liquids when you’re sick. I really hope you will feel better soon.