Okay, so there is still a funk lingering in the air around here … and I’m understandably queasy about putting up this poll … but we must move forward to avoid getting left behind, right? If you’ve been following along, you most likely have an opinion on the backbone of this blog. And I want it. Here and now. Please take a look at the poll below, pick your answer and feel free to elaborate in the comment boxes below. Few choices in life are black and white and I’m happy to entertain all of your explanations, thoughts, musings, mantras, recipes, jingles, song lyrics, poetry, tongue twisters, grocery lists, etc.
Oh, and I wanted to include a comment left by a regular ODNT reader and fellow blogger. Unlike some readers here, this individual and I have never met before so this opinion comes completely unbiased and fully anonymous.
What can I say about the decision of whether to go ahead with this? As you acknowledged, this is ultimately your choice to make. The fact that you’re hesitating is no surprise, because it’s a pretty big expense, and having your body modified isn’t a choice that should be taken lightly. I think if the side of your inner Sybil who thinks you should scrap the whole idea has been coming out often (or speaking loudly), maybe you should wait. But if you feel good about the whole idea and it only makes you nervous occasionally, you’ll probably have no regrets after going through with it.
– If you back out, you’ll probably be comfortable with the knowledge that you saved some money and avoided some minor but very real risks. But you might always look at yourself in the mirror and say, “I could have gotten some fabulous new ta-tas, and I chickened out! What was I thinking?”
– If you go through with it, I’m positive you’ll be happy with the way you look. You’ll get an instant and long-lasting boost to your self-image. You and your husband will have lots of fun playing with the new toys. But you might forever feel selfish, frivolous, and vain.
Gut instinct, without over-thinking it, which of these two situations seems more likely to eat at you?
If that doesn’t help, just ask yourself how likely you are to be stabbed in the chest, or have a Hezbollah rocket shot at you. Some extra padding out there could save your life…
Ugh. I’m high in the air … looking down … out of the open door of the plane. The houses look tiny and the people like ants. I sure hope this thing on my back is a parachute and not my daughter’s iCarly backpack. Here I go …
My biggest problem … besides being in a general sort of funk … is that I somehow managed to delete my ideas list from my phone. I never claimed to be a genius, did I? But, even without my list (aka lifeline), I still had a few tricks up my sleeve so you’d think I’d be fine, right?
Wrong. And so I began processing my thoughts …
(1) Hey! What about the next Name Those Boobs game? Nah, too soon.
(2) Well, duh. What about the next vote? No, no, no. I am not ready. Not today. No.
(3) What about that thing I saw about Denise Richards’ concerns about her implants and her daughters? No. Her situation is very different from mine. She was 19 and I am … not 19. And she admittedly went too big and is worried about her girls’ constant exposure to the great emphasis put on her appearance as an actress. Not really my issue.
(4) What about that story I saw about the new studies linking light drinking and breast cancer? No. It was the lamest, most slopped together story that seemed unfounded and basically went nowhere fast.
And so it went … with idea after idea after idea … all evening until I flipped on the TV and mindlessly tuned in to an old episode of Seinfeld.
Which gave me the idea to write this ‘Blog Entry about Nothing.’
I literally lay in my bed and typed it sideways on my phone (really bringing the expression ‘phoning it in’ to life). I promise better things tomorrow. At least I hope I do.