We just got home from our family vacation yesterday. And Dave posted this picture on his Facebook page.
By now, just about every family has compared itself to the infamous Griswolds. But when I actually started thinking about them … and this particular trip … I came up with some pretty interesting ways that we’re alike. And some that we’re different, too. What do you think?
1. Family Structure. There are four of us … father, mother, son & daughter … just like in the movie. At one point, I think I even heard Dave call Dean “Rusty.” Under his breath, of course. And then he offered him his first beer. (I’m kidding.) (At least I hope I’m kidding.)
2. Objective. We spent the past week driving to Wally … I mean Disney World. What’s the difference? Moose, mouse. (It’s literally only one letter.)
3. Travel Vehicle. Their family truckster was a woody wagon and ours was a Honda Pilot. The concept was the same, except we were lucky enough to have all of our luggage, toiletries and beloved family members within. (Thanks to the fold-in-floor seats.)
4. Kids Electronics. It’s 2014 so my boy was sporting his Beats by Dre and my girl her free ear buds from a past flight. Wow, that doesn’t seem fair at all, does it? (And you never know. They could have been listening to The Ramones.)
5. Singing Parents. Mockingbird? Please. We can do better than that. Among the songs we belted out were Defying Gravity, Rich Girl, Forever Young and Caught Up in You by .38 Special. (Thanks to a billboard we passed in Mississippi for an upcoming casino show.)
6. Visit with Extended Family. Well, no. Dave doesn’t have a cousin Eddie. But we did see his brother and family during our vacation. And all the kids went off on their own for a while. (Gosh, I hope they didn’t learn anything inappropriate.)
7. Christie Brinkley. The only flashy blonde we kept seeing was my friend, Vanessa. (I wonder if she and Dave ever went swimming together on the trip.)
8. Aunt Edna. We did not lose an elderly aunt on the trip, but Dave did lose a pair of sunglasses and his phone charger. (And I bet together they weigh about the same as Imogene Coca.)
9. Park Closure. Thankfully, Disney World wasn’t closed when we got there. But Splash Mountain was. And that’s my girl’s favorite ride! Seriously, where’s John Candy when you need him? (Oh, yeah. Never mind.)
“I found out long ago …
It’s a long way down the holiday road”