Added 1/15/15 for Mamakat’s Writing Prompt: “Find a photo of yourself taken 10 years ago and display it on your blog along with a current photo. How have you changed since the day that photo was taken?”
See the matching pictures below? The top one was taken in 2014 and the bottom in 2004. Sure, they look a lot alike. But the first girl … well, she’s a little older and a little wiser. She’s gotten a lot more red and a lot more said. Because she’s WRITING again.
And she’s so glad to have rekindled that part of her. She likes to think it keeps her young. And talk colorfully of herself in the third person.
Original Post Starts Here:
It’s time for Ketchup With Us. Hosted by Mel and me on the 1st & 15th each month, our link-up gives you TWO ways to play: (A) Write about anything for 10 minutes OR (B) Link up an old post. Or both!
Eight days?!!? Gosh, has it really been eight days since I last wrote something for the blog? Shame on me. Well, except I can’t take all the blame. Because I was, as they say, at sea for an extended period of time. Overeating, overdrinking (but only one day), oversunning and overworrying about my kids who ran amuck on that ship like they were a couple of college kids.
We had a great time. All eleven of us. (We like to travel in throngs.) And I’m just now starting to catch up on my sleep. So I wanted to take a minute (ten to be exact) to share a few points of interest from my most recent cruising experience.
(1) If you’re going to sing a song karaoke-style, take some time to choose your selection wisely. And think about the original person who performed it. If you can’t hit every note in the shower, then you sure as hell can’t hit it in front of a room full of people. I’m still shaking my head at my own stupidity. Sheena Easton. What was I thinking?!!?
(2) The Mayan Ruins in July? If I wouldn’t take on an activity during the summer months in my home city of New Orleans, then I certainly shouldn’t be trying to do it in Mexico. It’s 651 miles CLOSER TO THE EQUATOR.
(3) Just because the catamaran crew says I can drink as much as I want doesn’t mean I should drink as much as I want. You’d think I would have learned that back in college. Or in my 20s. Or in my 30s.
(4) Dave and I need to create trivia contests on the boat. Or at least the 80s music trivia contest. (pause for questions) Why yes, I’m glad you asked. As a matter of fact, we DID come home with a 1st place trophy.
(5) Four is apparently the maximum number of appetizers I should order in one sitting to create a meal of “small plates.” Not surprisingly, cream of mushroom soup, a crab cake, a (distinctively small) sushi sampler and a cheese plate can be quite filling when combined to create one overindulgent feast the likes of which we haven’t seen since ‘Gluttony’ was depicted in Brad Pitt’s Seven.
I could go on. And maybe I will in another post. But, for today, I just wanted you guys to know I was back on the grid. And that I didn’t forget about you. And that I so appreciate my friend, Mel, stopping by to say hi while I was away.
Did we take pictures? Well, sure. We took plenty. But for now, I’ll just leave you with one, taken of Dave and me at dinner the last night. For the record, the picture beneath it was taken at dinner on a cruise just like this one exactly ten years earlier.
Please be kind when you compare them.
Our esteemed Ketchup With Us Featured Writer from last time is …
Adventures in Weseland
BEHIND THE KETCHUP
Click here to read how this foolishness all began.
KEEP TRACK OF OUR STUPIDITY
SPREAD THE WORD & POST OUR BUTTON … please!
<img src=”https://olddognewtits.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ketchuplabel125copy2.jpg” alt=”olddognewtits.com” width=”125″ height=”125″ />
FINALLY … THE LINK-UP!
WE give you a (completely random) picture to inspire you to KetchupWithUs.
All YOU need to do is link something up.
And, for the love of Heinz-Ketchup-FINALLY-Available-in-Dip-n-Squeeze-Tubs, TELL YOUR FRIENDS!
Welcome home!! So glad you had a fantastic time doing “all the things I wouldn’t do” (OH, who am I kidding? I’d totally do them ..with you!)
And FWIW I think your current picture is just as fantastic as the first picture…the smiles are still the same.
Gorgeous in both pictures, of course!! Glad you had a great time!! 🙂
You ladies are too kind. And I thank you deeply for it. 🙂
Boozy overindulgence is one thing, boozy overindulgence on a ship is another. All that subtle movement adds a horrifying new dimension to being hungover.
And y’all look terrific in both pics. Although Dave may want to consider broadening his color palette.
Do you EVER take a bad picture, Michele? You look beautiful in both. I know it’s the lighting, but you look really good as a blonde Not that you don’t as a brunette or a redhead, but I like the blonde, too.
And that is so cool that Dave had the forethought to wear the same color for both pictures. What a great idea, Dave! 😛
And for the record, that Cookie Monster haunts my dreams to this day. Hands off the bottle bottom, Cookie!
Hey! Am I looking at a trophy in the bottom picture?? Did you also win a music trivia contest ten years ago ??
Pingback: Ketchup With Us – A Reblog Post | The Graying Chronicles
Awe, look at Dave. He had such a baby face then. And you, seriously, you look the same. You are so photogenic it’s ridiculous! How do you do it? Glad you had a great vaca! Endless drinks and FOOD! Sounds like an awesome time to me!
Those are both very nice.
Love the darker hair!